Thursday, December 02, 2004

Promoting your blog

My eyes are stinging from another afternoon spent exploring the world of blogs - this time blog promotion. Thanks to this article in the Search Engine Journal I finally embarked on the epic journey of submitting my blog to a raft of blog search engines: Daypop; Blog Catalog; Feedster; Ice Rocket; Bloogz; Blogstreet; Blogwise; Blog Search Engine; Blogarama; Blog Rankings; Blogexplosion;Weblog Link Directory; WorldGlobe of Blogs, and thanks to the poster who suggested BlogDigger. The process surprisingly was much easier than when it comes to listing on general search engines.

The interesting problem came with Ice Rocket, which refused to list my site because it was not an RSS feed. Now this prompted a visit to the Blogger Help pages on syndication - specifically about getting RSS to work. Are you thrilled? Read on...

Here I learn that Blogger, which does provide an atom feed (this page explains that bit of jargon), requires you to pay to have an RSS feed. To its credit Blogger does point you towards FeedBurner, which allows you to make your feed work in any reader by creating a new page: in my case, this one - although I could have simply used http://veryniceman.blogspot.com/atom.xml. So, now I have an RSS feed page and am listed for all the world to ignore. (Actually, this turned out to be far from the case. In the 24 hours since I did this, the number of people viewing my profile rose from 4 to 16.)

So, I now have even more lovely badges on my site and a whole new collection of blog discussion sites to visit: Blogdiscussion and BloggerTalk being just two. It's good to talk.

UPDATE (13 June 05): Now also added to Blogdigger and Feedmap.
UPDATE 2 (20 July 05): Now also added to Britblog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also suggest Blogdigger.com (http://www.blogdigger.com/) - disclaimer, I operate the site. It looks as if we have your site in our index already. Best of luck!

Greg Gershman
greg AT blogdigger.com

December 02, 2004 3:49 pm  
Blogger Paul Bradshaw said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Greg: I've added Blogdigger to the post.

David, I covered Technorati in a previous posting (The Wonders of RSS).

December 03, 2004 11:40 am  
Blogger Paul Bradshaw said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 03, 2004 11:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home