Friday, August 18, 2006

Subscribe to an email feed

[Keyword: , , ]. Yes, I have a new box on the right if you want to subscribe to regular emails. And there's some history to this...

Frequent readers of my blog may be familiar with my ongoing quest to find a suitable way to offer email subscriptions. My first effort involved getting my blog to email posts to a group on Yahoo! Groups which anyone could subscribe to. However, for some reason the group stopped working, so I switched to Google Groups. Neither solution was ideal, as it still required users to do more work than simply entering an email address, so I was pleased to discover BotaBlog offered a simple email entry field. Thing is, it didn't seem to work properly either.

So, I'm thrilled to discover a new feature on Feedburner where you can choose from three different email delivery services: the first, provided by Feedburner itself, simply requires users to enter their email address in a box you can insert on your site; the second, from Feedblitz, not only does that, but provides you with subscribers' email addresses too. The third, from Squeet, doesn't provide subscriber email addresses, but does allow them to 'buzz' their favourite articles and promote them further.


Save this story on del.icio.us

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

FeedBlitz does NOT require a registration with us; it's the same mechanism as used by everyone else (give email using the form on your site, pass image verification, email confirmation).

How did you get the impression that subscribers need to register as well as subscribe?

Phil

August 19, 2006 2:20 pm  
Blogger Paul Bradshaw said...

When I tried out the service on my site, and entered my email address to subscribe, it told me the only step I needed now was to register with FeedBlitz. I'll do some more investigating...

August 21, 2006 9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home